Bitly Accounts Security Compromised After Possible Data Breach
Bitly is a famous and probably the top short link creator online service in the world. Recently Bitly announced a security-compromised situation on its official blog. Bitly believed that some data breach has been observed on their servers.
They never came to the decision whether the users data (accounts) have been turned accessible through this vulnerability, but Bitly strongly urged to the users to change their Bitly accounts passwords. Bitly explained in a blog post that some credentials have been compromised, and it is necessary for Bitly users to urgently respond and change their passwords due to the possible vulnerability causing damage to email addresses, encrypted passwords, API keys and OAuth tokens on Bitly Network.
This update is more important for the Bitly users who have linked their Bitly Accounts with Facebook and Twitter.
Follow the simple guideline to make sure your Bitly Account remains safe:
1) First of all log in to your Bitly account and go to the ‘Your Settings’, and then the ‘Advanced’ tab.
2) See the Reset option under ‘Advanced’ tab, select ‘Reset’ option.
3) Note down (copy) new API key and change it in all applications you have linked with Bitly Account.
4) After that go to the ‘Profile’ tab and reset your password.
5) Reconnect the apps and accounts linked to your Bitly Account.